State of Florida law requires a state university administrator (as defined in the UF policy on Mandatory Reports of Abuse), upon receiving information from another institution employee, to report known or suspected child abuse, neglect or abandonment (including physical, sexual and/or emotional abuse) that occurred on university property or at a university-sponsored event directly to the Department for Children and Families (DCF). University of Florida staff are required to abide by the Mandatory Reporting rules as outlined in Section 39.205, Florida Statutes.
Provided below is guidance on mandatory requirements associated with reporting known or suspected cases of child abuse and child neglect.
Policies / Laws
- UF policy on Mandatory Reports of Child Abuse
- Section 39.205, Florida Statutes
- Summary of Legislation
Methods for Reporting
Click Here for step-by-step guide for reporting child abuse
To report known or suspected cases of child abuse or neglect please use the following methods:
- In the event of an emergency or if you see a crime in progress, immediately contact UFPD at 352-392-1111
- If you have reason to believe that a child is a victim of abuse, report it immediately to Florida Department of Children & Families. The following methods can be used to report:
- Telephone: 1-800-962-2873 (24 Hour Hotline)
- Fax: 1-800-914-0004 (Click here for a fax reporting form)
- TDD: 1-800-453-5145
- Online: www.FloridaAbuseHotline.com
Please see the educational resources tab for additional resources